Sunday 19 January 2014

I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends...

On 14th February 2014, I will realise a dream that I've had since I was 5.

My first novel Of Fire & Roses, Book 1 in the Erlanis Chronicles series will be published through Evernight Teen Publishing.

It's been a whirlwind of stress, self doubt, flashes of bravado, and a lot of coffee and chocolate. But what got me from hearing something in a song that inspired me to write, to now madly preparing for a book release? 

Yes, putting one word after another has a lot to do with it, but that was the easy part. What keeps you going when you think your writing is the biggest load of cow dung that even beetles wouldn't be seen dead in? When the story has stalled and you have no idea which direction to take it in? When characters decide to do something you weren't expecting?

 I would have given up before I had even started if it hadn't been for a small group of people, who I feel were instrumental in my success. They talked me off ledges many a time, read my first draft and didn't laugh, they brainstormed with me to get past those icky blockages...

 They are authors, mentors, counsellors, negotiators, but most importantly, friends. And the funny part is, I haven't even met most of them. If you find yourself struggling, tap into your support network and use it. They are your lifeline.

 If you don't think you know how, start on Facebook and look for author groups and be proactive, DON'T LURK. This is key. People need to get to know who you are. Help them promote their work and they in turn will help you. You just may find yourself with a published novel too!

2 comments: